Thanksgiving Stuffing with Sausage Recipe – Mealtime Monday
This delicious stuffing recipe is the perfect compliment to your holiday turkey. Browned Italian sausage adds a yummy element of surprise. Your guests are sure to come back for more!
My sister-in-law makes stuffing very similar to this one, a recipe passed down from her grandmother, each year for the family feast in my husband’s home state of Idaho. This is the version I make for my guests when I am hosting Thanksgiving dinner in Las Vegas. I’m sure my sister-in-law and her late grandma could tell the difference between the two, but my family can’t. It is worth the little bit of extra effort, trust me! Enjoy!
This recipe makes enough to stuff a 16-24 pound turkey.
- 1 pound ground, mild Italian sausage
- 4 stalks celery, washed and chopped
- 1 med sweet onion, chopped (A yellow onion will work.)
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet corn
- 1 10oz pkg of seasoned, cubed stuffing
- 1 10oz pkg. cornbread stuffing
- 2 sticks of sweet butter (1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3 cups chicken stock
- In a medium frying pan, brown sausage over high heat. When done, remove from pan, leaving drippings in the pan. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add celery, onion and corn to the pan, toss in the drippings.
- Saute until onions are shiny and translucent. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Into a very large bowl, pour stuffing mixes.
- Add the cooked veggies and sausage to the stuffing.
- Using the same pan you sauteed the veggies in, melt 2 sticks of butter over low heat. Use low heat so the butter doesn’t burn. Using the same pan allows for all the flavors left in it to be added to the stuffing. Pour melted butter over ingredients in bowl.
- Sprinkle poultry seasoning over ingredients in bowl.
- Pour the chicken stock over the ingredients in bowl.
- Stir mixture until well combined and whole mixture is moist.
Your stuffing is ready to put into the turkey. Do so by gently stuffing neck and body cavities. Close openings and roast turkey as usual.
DO NOT STUFF THE TURKEY UNTIL JUST BEFORE ROASTING.
**To bake stuffing only: Bake covered at 350 degrees F in a greased casserole dish. Foil is fine to cover it with. Remove cover for last 15 minutes of baking if you desire a crispier top.
**To prepare stuffing in the Crockpot: Cook covered, on high, for 1 hour 25 minutes. Turn off cooker and toss stuffing. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.