Caramel Puffcorn Recipe – Mealtime Monday
Warning: This buttery sweet treat can be addictive! This easy to prepare snack will have your friends and family screaming “More Caramel Puffcorn please!”
Make Caramel Puffcorn
- 2 bags of Chester’s Butter Flavor Puffcorn. (Not every place carries it but I can always find it at Walgreen’s).
- 1 cup butter (Do not use margarine, it must be real butter).
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Karo syrup
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large roasting pan
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Spray sides and bottom of roaster with nonstick cooking spray.
- Empty contents of both bags of Puffcorn into roaster and set aside.
- Place butter, brown sugar and Karo syrup in a heavy saucepan and heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Let boil 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Mixture will become foamy looking.
- Remove from heat and immediately add vanilla and baking soda, stir.
- Pour caramel over Puffcorn in roaster, stir until the puffs are well coated. (Some will be more coated than others but this will even out as the process continues).
- Bake at 250 F for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- When baking is complete dump Caramel Puffcorn onto a large cookie sheet for cooling.
- Store in an airtight container.
**For a sweet and savory treat with a little kick try shaking some red pepper flakes over Caramel Puffcorn immediately after you dump it onto the cookie sheet for cooling.**